On Friday, at Maruthi Nagar in Golnaka in the Amberpet area, a reactor in a chemical manufacturing factory was damaged, triggering a fire that sent out pungent gases creating panic in the surrounding areas.
According to officials, it is suspected that a technical glitch was the reason which caused the fire. Local residents, around noon on Friday, sensed a pungent smell emanating from the Deccan Chemicals factory, which is surrounded by residential colonies. The police and fire department was immediately alerted by them.
The police confirmed that a fire engine was rushed to the spot and a team from the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation also reached the spot. Within an hour, they brought the situation under control.
Responding to the incident, officials stated that the chemical company had reactors that contained chemicals and acidic substances. The gas leakage happened because one such reactor was damaged.
The police also confirmed that at the time of the mishap there were only a handful of people on the premises, but all were safe.
A pungent odor spread in the surrounding areas, due to the presence of acidic substances and chemicals in the unit, which triggered panic among the residents.
While the GHMC officials have seized the unit, the Amberpet police are investigating.