The Department of Entomology in the GHMC has embarked on preventive measures against the spread of mosquitoes and diseases transmitted by them. For this, a pinpoint program was started for the prevention of anti-larvae. It was decided to go door to door and identify areas where mosquitoes breed inside the house and carry out anti-larval operations.
To this end, 642 teams were recruited. These teams identify the locations of the larvae and clear the stagnant water sources there. After that, it is sprayed with chemicals. GHMC Chief Entomologist Dr. Rambabu said the corporation is educating the public on precautionary measures against the spread of dengue and malaria.
The main points of the pinpoint program:
1. Water storage containers such as overhead tanks, sump, pit taps, drums, tins, pots, waste materials, etc. are examined. Areas, where Aedes and Anopheles mosquitoes breed, are identified. To get rid of them regularly spray with Tamifus once a week.
2. 23,90,492 houses were inspected in October. Of these, 47,103 households were identified as breeding grounds for mosquito larvae. Officials said water storage pots, cisterns, old equipment, and various obsolete items were removed.
3. There are 54 workers working in 18 anti-larvae operation teams. These teams are working for edge cleaning and spraying in the Musi catchment area from Attapur to the Chadarghat bridge.
4. Measures are being taken to control mosquitoes in open, construction sites, cellars in residential and commercial complexes. Mosquito breeding, breeding sources eradication, reduction of such sources, and measures to control mosquitoes in the city's water bodies.
5. Mosquito larvae and large mosquito concentrations are regularly monitored by entomological teams.
6. The Internet of Things (IoT) device was developed by GHMC IT teams to improve the efficiency and performance of fogging machines. Fogging is carried out with modern and technical machinery.
7. The fogging activities undertaken under GHMC are overseen through the dashboard by the officers at the level of Circle, Zonal, and Head Office.
8. To work long-term for the eradication of mosquitoes, 64 vehicles mounted with fogging machines, 10 portable fogging machines were deployed.